Feb 4, 2010

Welcome to Life As A Human! (and the passing off of a friend...)

I've been neglecting my bloggerly duties. So sorry! Though, if anything this re-affirms my belief that I shouldn't have children. If I can't even keep a blog alive, how could I possibly be responsible for a tiny little being with actual physical needs?

My excuse for not posting for the last few weeks is that I've been working for this brand-shiny new bloggers website, Life As A Human!

It launched Feb 1st, and already it's getting a lot of attention. We have over 30 authors writing about all sorts of great stuff. You should check it out.

My first article for LAAH is coming out in a few days. Yippee!

Of course, good cannot exist in the world without bad. So to counter-balance the goodness and wonder that is Life As A Human, I got some terrible news last week.

Drew is sick.

Drew has been a very special part of my life. You may remember my excellent piece where I detail my complicated and passionate relationship with him: Drew and Me.

It all started one fair day in May almost four years ago. My cousin Andrew called me up and offered to introduce us. He's not much to look at, but he's cheap and reliable.

Andrew, you had me at cheap.

We met, and have barely been apart since.

Sure, he's had his problems. The lights don't work all the time. The window doesn't roll down. The stereo is possessed. Then there was that whole "needing a new engine" thing. But in the end we'd sort it out, and our relationship would be the stronger for it.

It got to the point that at family gatherings someone would say How's Drew? and Andrew would say I'm good. And the response would be, Not you. I was asking about Sarah's car.

Yes, he really was one of the family.

Last week, I took him to the mechanic for an oil change. Half an hour later I get a call. The news was not good. To sum up, if I drove him I risked a wheel breaking off and rolling away. And I wouldn't be able to stop, because of the whole "brakes not really working" thing.

Drew, I love you. I do. But no guy - mechanical or otherwise - is worth $1500 to fix.

Our breakup was swift. I removed my CD's, flashlight and axe, then drove him gingerly to Andrew's (the human), who graciously accepted him back. My pain will be his project.

But enough about me and my heartache. Go check out Life As A Human.

Go.

Now!

SHOO!

No comments:

Post a Comment