Jan 14, 2010

Meet-a Pika

Hey Everyone, guess what I'm doing this week?

That's right. I'm dog sitting. Again.

Why is it that everyone, EVERYONE, around me is jetting off to fabulous destinations? Mexico, Spain, Vancouver. And if they think of me at all, is it to invite me along? Because they can't live without my sparkly, charming wit and...um...charm?

NO. They think that Sarah. She's got nothing better to do than come and care for our adorable pets while we go off and have wonderful fun without her.

Which is true.

So this week I'm looking after Pika. Part husky, part something else that I can't remember, Pika is 14, which I think makes her some age-defying druidic elder in dog years. She's deaf (or fakes it reaaaallly well), has gimpy hips, and the driest nose I've ever encountered on a dog.

I know this because she loves to come and stick it under my wrist when I'm at the computer. Not when I'm typing an email or something that can be interrupted with no consequences. Oh no. She does this only when I'm playing a game that has a time limitation. It's when I have sixty seconds left to collect the shiny gems and free the monkey face with the magical coins (I'm not addicted to Jungle Jewels, so don't even ask) that she'll come over and shove her nose under my mousing wrist, pushing the mouse away and demanding a nose scratch. I try to get her to come over to my left side so I can scratch with that hand while saving the jungle with my right. She'll have none of that. Right handed nose scratches are the only acceptable kind, apparently. Her insanely dry (and surprisingly strong) nose leaves little abrasions on my arm. I'm very delicate. But my Jungle Jewel scores are what's really suffering here.

Oh look, I'm turning this into another gaming rant. So sorry.

Cute dog. Right. Sooooo cute. Like yesterday, when I was on the phone in the den and she came and threw up right in the doorway. It wasn't even normal vomit. There was no pre-puke noises to alert me. She just opened her mouth and this really thick, slow flowing gunk oozed out for like a minute. Then she closed her mouth and looked at me like she's saying Will you clean this up already? It's disgusting.

Now any weird wet noise that comes from her makes my heart race. Will there be more gooey fluids emitted from her mouth? And she's a dog. She's constantly making weird, wet noises.

I may walk away from this with a nervous condition.

No comments:

Post a Comment