Jul 1, 2009

And so it begins

I've finally done it. After a year of thinking about it, a months of worrying about it, several solid weeks of good procrastination, and a few days of hard work, I have gone from this:



To this:


To this:


Plus a precariously packed storage unit, but we don't need to talk about that.

First stop, Seattle. I was smart enough to book my flight to Ecuador out of Seattle as it was way, way cheaper. It also leaves at 8am, which doesn't really leave time to get there on the same day. So it was the clipper that brought me to this fair city. And it was the clipper that sprayed salt mist all over my new camera lens. So first stop, camera shop for some cleaner.

Second stop was meant to be a light lunch. However, that got derailed when I ended up with a burrito the size of my calf. I can't even order food right in English speaking countries. Good god, how will I fare in Spanish? Quiero un burrito tan grande como mi pierna, por favor.

I've only been in Seattle a few hours, but it's already conjuring up many memories of past travels in distant cities. A strip of cafes by the harbour reminded me of Den Haag, a crowded tacky gift shop brought back Orlando, the movie theatre I walked by reminded me of Berlin (and made me want to watch Troy again - don't ask).

I've been to Seattle once before, about 5 years ago. That trip ended up involving a lot of whiskey, a rubber-maid tycoon, and some oreo cookies. But that's a story for another day.

Goodbye Victoria!

1 comment:

girlamongstboys said...

My only memory of Seattle is a stop by my father to buy same white/salt coated pastachio nuts in a mall somewhere... It was important. I have never seen that type again.

Post a Comment